Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Iam 63 and retired from the state of california.iam getting

Customer Question

hello iam 63 and retired from the state of california.iam getting 2800.00 per month in retirement.be for i retired i check with social security office to see what i would be getting when i turned 62 i was told i would receive 1600.00 per month.so i made decision to retire. when i turn in my paper work i was told that in the 'win fall program' and i only be receiving 666.00.is there any thing i can do? i put lots of money into the system.what can i do?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question

Because of your state pension, your social security benefit will be reduced. There's nothing you can do about this, unless you had more than 30 years of substantial earnings.

It stinks, I know --- but it's one of those things they wrote up during the Reagan era when they were reigning in government spending

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.