PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

My husband and I are both @ FRA. We read that he could file

Customer Question

My husband and I are both @ FRA. We read that he could file and susupend, and I could file a restricted application for a spousal benefit, and both wait until 70 to draw our full benefits. When we mentioned this while making our appointment, the person on the other line stated we couldn't do that, and almost refused to give us an appointment. Has the law changed, or was she wrong?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

I believe you are correct in your understanding.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html is a link to the SSA web page that confirms your understanding.

You might have better luck with another office visit.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want facts, not belief. the SSA page did not confirm anything, and I tried twice . It said the page you are requesting does not exist.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

From that web page:

"If you have reached full retirement age, but are not yet age 70, you can ask us to suspend retirement benefit payments.

• If you apply for benefits and we have not yet made a determination that you are entitled, you may voluntarily suspend benefits for any month for which you have not received a payment. Your request to suspend benefits may include any retroactive benefits that might be due.

• If you and your current spouse are full retirement age, one of you can apply for retirement benefits now and have the payments suspended, while the other applies only for spouse's benefits. This strategy allows both of you to delay receiving retirement benefits on your own records so you can get delayed retirement credits.

Note: If you want to do this, only one of you can apply for retirementbenefits and have the payments suspended.

• If you are already entitled to benefits, you may voluntarily suspend current or future retirement benefit payments up to age 70 beginning the month after the month when you made the request."

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html is a working link. Sometimes the HTTPS prefix must be removed in some browsers.

Thanks again from just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.