Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My wife and I were both receiving benefits until her death

Customer Question

My wife and I were both receiving benefits until her death in 2010. Am I elgible for any benefits from the account that she was receiving , Her s s number was
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your wife. You can draw only one benefit, which is the larger of your benefit or her benefit. You cannot get them both. If she were to draw more than you then you can go to social security and apply for widow benefits. You will be given the increased benefit for up to 6 months retroactive.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.