How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 10472
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my wife collect her full social security payment from

Customer Question

Can my wife collect her full social security payment from her own employment history when our adult disabled daughter receives an SSDI payment off her father's account who is currently receiving his full retirement benefit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



Yes, she can.


There CAN be a maximum family amount, but HERE, that doesn't apply because the daughter's benefit is coming from the divorced spouse who qualifies.


See the bottom of this page (from Social Security)


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife and I are married not divorced does that change the response?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

OK bad assumption... I assumed the daughter's father was divorced from your now wife ... but yes, either way, this doesn't affect YOUR family maximum, because the daughter is filing against some who is not IN your immediate family


Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

You wife can always take her full benefit, based on her OWN earnings record

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Excellent and Thank you---John voit
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome, John.


A positive rating (by clicking on the stars or smiley faces on your screen) would be thanks enough ... That's the ONLY way I'm credited for the work here





Related Social Security Questions