PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

My husband just passed away on Sept 16 at age 67- I am 65

Customer Question

My husband just passed away on Sept 16 at age 67- I am 65 and will be 66 in June- I was told I would not receive any of his benefits because I was working and made 57000- could this be correct?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. Sorry for your loss.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

With social security benefits earned by both of you, comparing your benefit with a survivor benefit based on his work history is needed. A blanket denial is inappropriate and premature.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

As a widow, you have filing options. If you haven't claimed yet, you can file for widows benefits, allowing your benefits on your work history to grow. If you already collect, your benefit will be revised if a widows benefit increases your benefits. You do have to go to an SSA office to review your options and apply.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking at just answer. I hope this helped. Please rate my assistance using the rating scale at the bottom of the page, or ask file up questions until I have answered your questions. I'm PDtax.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did file for spousal benefits and the claim was denied- I was told I would receive $255 death benefit- could not receive anything else until I was 66- is this true- I don't think my question was answered.
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Spousal benefits are a claim based on a living spouse. Survivor benefits include the $255 death benefit. Widows benefits are the benefits you seek. It is possible your spousal benefit request was turned down because there type of benefit was misunderstood. U are eligible for widows benefits right now. You are eligible for early benefits on your own work record right now, with a full retirement benefit available when you reach age 66.