emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

MY EX WIFE LIED IN COURT AND COMMITTED FORGERY. SHE WAS THE

Customer Question

MY EX WIFE LIED IN COURT AND COMMITTED FORGERY. SHE WAS THE GUARDIAN OF OUR ADOPTED CHILD BECAUSE OUR LAWYER FORGOT TO PUT ME AS GUARDIAN ALSO. MY QUESTION IS CAN SHE CHANGE MY DAUGHTERS SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER SO IT WOULD MAKE IT HARDER TO FIND HER. ALSO CAN SHE CHANGE HER SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER BECAUSE SHE TOOK ITEMS THAT DID NOT BELONG TO HER. PLEASE ANSWER ME, I AM ABOUT TO GO CRAZY.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Usually not. Once you get a social security number it is yours for life. However there are some circumstances when a new social security number could be granted. Check here:

https://faq.ssa.gov/link/portal/34011/34019/Article/3789/Can-I-change-my-Social-Security-number

In order to change her she would have to have a valid reason, the number is ***** changed automatically just because somebody request it. Forgery is definitely not a valid reason. Changing your social security number is ***** as easy as changing your name.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.