LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My 2 children have been receiving ss death benefits years

Customer Question

my 2 children have been receiving ss death benefits for 5 years now. my oldest turned 18, graduated thus benefits are finished. will my youngest get any increase in her benefits
since payout is for one child only now?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you receiving a benefit from social security based on caring for the youngest child still? (this would be the case if she is under 16 still.)

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not - she is 15
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the additional information.

If your children were receiving benefits based on the fact that you are yourself retired, then each child would have been receiving about half of what you are receiving. Because the family maximum is 150% to 180% of the worker's benefit, then there will not be an increase in your 15 year old's benefit based on your son having graduated and turned 18 already. Her benefit will continue to be paid at the same amount monthly that she has been receiving all along.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I said I am not receiving any benefits. I work and the deceased was my ex husband ---does the situation change because I do not receive any death benefits