LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Just Curious. I will turn 66 years old on January 27th 2016.

Customer Question

Just Curious. I will turn 66 years old on January 27th 2016. When filling out the paperwork on the ssa website, it does ask when I want my benefits to start. Do I choose January 2016, or February 2016. I do not want to start before I am 100% eligible, but if I am entitled to a payment for January, I would not want to start in February.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Great question.

Actually, under social security regulations, you may only be paid a benefit after you have reached the appropriate age and are that age for the full month.

As your birthday is ***** January, if you ask to start your benefit in January you will not receive your full retirement benefit, but something slightly less. By indicating that you want your benefit to begin in February, you will be assured of getting your full retirement age benefit. Do keep in mind that benefits are paid by social security one month in arrears. That means that if you ask for your benefit to begin in February, you will not receive your first benefit payment until March.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug