LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My child just turned 18 but she is a senior this year and

Customer Question

My child just turned 18 but she is a senior this year and will attend Sam Houston next year. Is she eligible for benefits while tending school?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What benefits is your daughter receiving at present?

2. Is Sam Houston a college/university?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm 65and she is drawing dependent SS on my account. Sam Houston is a university
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Thanks for the additional information.

Under social security regulations, your daughter will remain eligible to continue collecting her child benefit until she reaches either graduation from high school, or age 19 and 2 months if she is in high school, whichever comes first. Students in college are not eligible to continue to collect a child retirement benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug