LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

Can I file security online and then also suspend my benefits

Customer Question

Can I file for social security online and then also suspend my benefits online without having to write a letter or visit a social security office?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you may absolutely file for social security benefits online and then before your first benefit is paid, either write to, or call, social security and suspend the benefits. You cannot suspend benefits online, but must do so through a phone call (1-***-***-****) or in writing to social security.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK...So my plan is to do this and then have my wife file for register also online and file for Spousal Benefits only...which she can do as long as I have filed as I understand it. She can do this also Online? Is that correct? And then after she does that...then I can either Call or Write a certified letter to SS and Suspend my benefits. This will allow my wife to begin getting a Spousal benefit of 50% of my full retirement age benefit and we Both then continue to earn Delayed Retirement credits to age 70. Do I have it correct? Thanks Dennis Jeffers
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Hi Dennis,

You wrote: OK...So my plan is to do this and then have my wife file for register also online and file for Spousal Benefits only...which she can do as long as I have filed as I understand it. She can do this also Online? Yes, she can. Is that correct? And then after she does that...then I can either Call or Write a certified letter to SS and Suspend my benefits. Correct. This will allow my wife to begin getting a Spousal benefit of 50% (So long as she is at least 66 years old when she applies) of my full retirement age benefit and we Both then continue to earn Delayed Retirement credits to age 70. Do I have it correct? Yes, that is correct.

Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug