TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I am 62 years old and my husband of more than 30 years is

Customer Question

I am 62 years old and my husband of more than 30 years is now collecting social security. I continue to work as a public school teacher and have Calpers retirement benefits, not social security benefits. Am I entitled to spousal social security benefits?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you receive a pension from a government job in which you did not pay Social Security taxes, some or all of your Social Security spouse's, widow's or widower's benefit may be offset due to receipt of that pension. This offset is referred to as the Government Pension Offset, or GPO.

You may apply for spousal benefits but the GPO will reduce the amount of your Social Security spouse's benefits by two-thirds of the amount of your government pension.

If you need additional information about the benefit, please read the "When won't my Social Security benefits be reduced?" section of the "https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10007.pdf" factsheet.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.