Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My wife is older than me, age 65 and I am 62. She has been

Customer Question

My wife is older than me, age 65 and I am 62. She has been getting social security since she was 62. I am going to wait till I am 66 to start collecting social security. She was told we could collect the social security that I could claim at my age, which is more than she is getting. Is this true?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, with regard to your post, I am not sure I am understanding the question:

"My wife is older than me, age 65 and I am 62. She has been getting social security since she was 62. ------- OK, she took "early" and opted for smaller payments, permanently smaller.

"I am going to wait till I am 66 to start collecting social security. --------- That will provide a substantial increase over if you took now.

"She was told we could collect the social security that I could claim at my age, which is more than she is getting. Is this true? ------- Please clarify, you say " we" could collect. There is no joint collection, so if you could clarify...

If you are wondering WHAT you can collect now - you CAN collect your own now, but it will be permanently discounted. So please let me know what else you could be thinking of. You can't collect a spousal off of hers UNLESS your spousal is greater than your own - in which case filing now would actually mandate you take spousal amount (paid via your own + spousal boost).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephanie,
Sorry for any confusion. The "we" I referred to should be she. What I am trying to say is this. Say I am eligible for $1,500 in Social Security. My friend is saying she, my wife, could collect this $1,500 instead of what she has been receiving, which is about $500. I am waiting till I am 66 to collect my benefits. This friend of mine is saying we (she, my wife) could collect the 1,500 until I begin collecting the higher amount, I'm thinking about $2,000 when I turn 66 years old. Could this possibly be right? If this is unclear maybe a short phone chat will clear everything up. Thank you.

Good morning!

OK, no, your well meaning friend is wrong. A wife/spouse can never collect the other spouse's full amount unless he dies. So let's not go there. She can only collect a "spousal" or her own, prior there to. Now, she COULD collect a spousal off of you IF you applied yourself, but that would mean you must file early if you want her to collect that now. And it wouldn't be much more than what she gets now since she'd only get about 35% of your rate, because she is only 62. Moreover,that would mean you wouldn't be "waiting" to collect yours, because prior to your full retirement age, you can not "file" and then "suspend".

If she get's 500 at age 62, since that is only about 70% of her primary insurance amount, her PIA is about 750 give or take. She will always suffer a 250 reduction off of a benefit if it is her own or spousal. Taking at age 62 costs her much.

If you think you need, I will add an additional services option of a private email offer for you, which is more affordable than a phone call with me. However, from there, should you want that a phone call, I can direct you to that additional service as well.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional