dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

My social security number is:. Why was my check that I

Customer Question

My social security number is: .
Why was my check that I received on 10/13 hundreds of dollars lower than my prior check?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

Hi John, I am Angie.

Unfortunately there is no way for anyone on Just Answer to correctly answer your question. Many times, if the Social Security Administration is adjusting your payment for some reason, they mail you a letter, but it usually comes a few days after the adjustment has been made.

I understand how frustrating this can be, especially when you are expecting a certain amount and get another. In order to find out why your payment is different before you receive the letter in the mail, you will either have to visit your local social security office or call the 1-800 number to reach them.

The hold times are long, but they are generally helpful when you get someone on the line.