Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Can I get ssi and ssd if I have retired and didn't file and

Customer Question

can I get ssi and ssd if I have retired and didn't file for disability and just took ssi
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

SSDI is based on having enough time/work in the system that you are insured AND that you qualify as being disabled.

...

And SSI, as you likely know,is needs based

...

It IS possible to get both SSI and SSDI

...

In certain circumstances, you can collect SSI and SSDI at the same time (called "concurrent benefits"). This happens when a disability applicant is approved for Social Security Disability, but receives only a low monthly payment. (A low SSDI payment can be caused by not working much in recent years or making low wages.)

...

But you mentioned being retired ... Generally, you can't receive Social Security retirement and disability benefits at the same time.

...

The one exception to this is where you takes advantage of early, reduced retirement benefits, which can be done at age 62, and then is approved for disability benefits.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

.