Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

If you are collecting social security disability benefits

Customer Question

If you are collecting social security disability benefits and are involved in a slip an fall accident, are you allowed to receive a pain and suffering award for unrelated injuries.
If so, will your social security disability benefits be affected?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon, with regard to your post:

"If you are collecting social security disability benefits and are involved in a slip an fall accident, are you allowed to receive a pain and suffering award for unrelated injuries. ----- Absolutely. Your income or resources does not effect your SSD; your wealth does not effect. What effects is working income - so if you work and earn money through work efforts, that can cause a finding of not disabled. Also, if one were collecting SSI due to disability, ALL income would effect, for the most part. But you are referring to social security, not SSI and that is a paid for insurance proceed, not welfare/needs-based program like SSI.

"If so, will your social security disability benefits be affected? ------- No, not at all.

Be well!

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Note that private phone calls with this attorney, while significantly discounted off of her typical billable hour for visitors to this site, are not offered by this attorney via the button you selected. However, another SS professional is free to accept that offer.

Please don't forget to rate my online service to you if we are finished here. If you have any confusion on my written answer, above, please don't hesitate to reply here and ask - I am happy to clarify! Thanks, ***** *****