LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am married, 55 years old, my husband is working, he is 58.

Customer Question

I am married, 55 years old, my husband is working, he is 58. We lost our son to a bone marrow transplant 3 years ago and have accumulated almost $20,000 in debt.
i have been on SSDI since May 2008 and my doctors have said I won't be able to work again. We have a small amount of equity in our house, but not enough to pay back the debt and we had to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy just over 7 years ago due to my health.
Social Security approved me in about 3 moths when I applied and just recently sent a quetionaire to me to fill out and decide if they needed to evaluate further and in about 2 months I havent heard back about checking further.
I recently found out I have a retire fund and they are offerring a lump sum payment that we could pay off our debt, maybe bring our house to code and downsize possibly to a smaller place, or possibly take monthly payments. My question:
We need my Social Security disability monthly checks to just make it now. Would they continue my monthly checks? Would they take the retirement money or let us pay the debt or get monthly checks below the amount I could earn if I could work at all?
Please help me or tell me who could? I didn't think I had any retirement benefit at all! I can leave it there, they just need to know if people want the lump sum by the 21st. Thank you.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
cancel
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I just saw your question, and I can certainly help you. Do you still want help or do you want to cancel the inquiry?

Doug