Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

STARTED COLLECTING BY SS INCOME AT THE AGE OF 66 YRS BUT

Customer Question

STARTED COLLECTING BY SS INCOME AT THE AGE OF 66 YRS BUT STILL WORKING.
WILL MY SS INCOME INCREASE AND WHEN?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

If your new years of working income will exceed some of your pre-existing top 35 years, then they will replace those figures when it comes to determine your average lifetime monthly earnings. The SSA benefit is a % of your average monthly earnings, so if that average rises, so does your benefit.

If your benefit is based on your own work record, and if you are under age 70, you can STOP your ss payments (suspend), likely, if you can live off your earnings, and restart them at 70. That will increase your 'then' benefit by 8% for every year you delay. So sometimes it is very benefiicial to NOT collect at 66 but wait til 70.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!