emc011075
emc011075, Tax Adviser
Experience:  Tax adviser IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I get full benefits at 66. If I take social security at 65,

Customer Question

I get full benefits at 66. If I take social security at 65, can I later suspend social security for a year so I would get the full benefit I would have gotten at 66?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

It depends on your full retirement age. If your full retirement age is 65 (you were born before 1942) than yes, you can do that. However if you were born in or after 1943, than your full retirement age is 66 and the answer would be no. You can apply and suspend your retirement benefits when you reach your full retirement age.

http://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.