Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am on SS Disability, my one daughter who is turning 18 has

Customer Question

I am on SS Disability, my one daughter who is turning 18 has been receiving benefits for one year. She lives with her mother who recently got a notice from SS asking how much money she had saved from the benefits in the past year. She has a special account for my daughter and has put some money away for college. As we were under the impression the funds would stop after she graduated from high school. Now my ex wife says she got a letter from SS stating they (ex wife) should send back any unused funds?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Yes, they always do that to ensure a parent does not keep the money for herself. If she has it in an account in your child's name, that should mean it IS already given to the child. If so, she can say there is nothing left, as it was give to the child.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional