PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

I get a monthly SSI check. They take out Medicare and I have

Customer Question

I get a monthly SSI check. They take out Medicare and I have a small partime job and pay roll takes out takes out FICA. Is the right?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You say you have an "SSI" check. SSI is welfare and is not your social security. Did you mean you are getting social security? Also, what kind? Retirement? Disability?

Also, is your question, "Is it proper for employer payroll to charge me FICA when I am collecting my Social Security"?

(Please note that I have NOT answered your questions yet. I am asking you the above to clarify so you can get an accurate answer. As such, it is not time to rate yet. Thank you.)

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and can assist. I am only helping because the previous expert opted out.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

It is correct for your employer to withhold social security taxes from your part time job. And, your employer has to pay a matching amount. They would rather not have to pay either.

Even though you collect benefits now, any social security taxes can improve your benefits later in life.

The Medicare that is withheld from your SSI benefit pays the premium for your insurance. It is different from the payroll taxes withheld from your part time job as well.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.