How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13505
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Someone told me that I, (Im on disability due to a spider

Customer Question

Someone told me that I, (Im on disability due to a spider bite when I first came here from Ca to help take care of my mom) can get some kind of compensation. My mom died in Feb. and its still really hard but Im tryin g to handle things the best way I can. Mom has a house where I have been living since I moved here. Im doing everything I can to sell it. I also keep up electric bills and home qwners insurance monthly. I just cant do it. Ive fallen behind on everything. I was told that there is a compensation for me that I pay back when the house sells. Does this make any sense at all. Thank you for reading this and giving me an answer. Thank you ***** Simpson
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jennifer. I am so sorry for your illness and the loss of your mom. There is nothing known by way of SS that provides for loans, pending sale of a house, BUT, you may be able to get a home equity loan if you have plenty of equity in the house. Look into that. Alternatively, if the house is more than a cottage, might you now rent out part of it, or even a room, for some extra cash? That way you don't have to lose more of the sales proceeds to paying back a loan, than you need to. I'd also be sure to price a renter high enough to keep out riff raff, and require a credit check and deposit. Put the lease in writing, 30 day notice, etc., and make sure to include ALL rules (such as noise limit, no overnight guests, etc.)... Just a suggestion if it is something you can do.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!