Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I get social security and I also work. Do my monthly

Customer Question

I get social security and I also work. Do my monthly payments go up because I am still paying into social security? I am 68 and I make about 10,000 extra a year.
Can you tell me about the interest free loan for a year from social security?
Finally, if a woman's husband is in jail, and she only worked very very part-time, and since he can't get his benefits, why does she only get have of his, minus what hers would have been?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi! With regard to your post:

"I get social security and I also work. Do my monthly payments go up because I am still paying into social security? If your new year of income is bigger than any of your previously existing top 35 years of income, yes, you can see an incremental increase.

"I am 68 and I make about 10,000 extra a year. Can you tell me about the interest free loan for a year from social security? ------- In the first year one files and receives benefits, they can reverse that filing, pay back that year of benefits, without paying interest on that money they had for the year.

"Finally, if a woman's husband is in jail, and she only worked very very part-time, and since he can't get his benefits, why does she only get have of his, minus what hers would have been? ---- We never get two benefit amounts, each person is only eligible to be paid for one person. We do, however, get to PICK which one we want out of the ones we are eligible for.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer did me no good.

I am so sorry. I am obligated to give you an accurate answer. I can not help if the law is not to your liking. I wish I could. I'd like to see it more lenient in terms of many things (such as higher benefits, being able to get more, at least even slightly, if we have more than one avenue of eligibility) but our Congress has yet to bend to my will.

That said, are you aware of the delayed retirement credits you could strategize to get for an increase later, which may be do-able by you since you are still working and presumably not relying yet on retirement, even if you are collecting it already?