Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I will be 65 in March 2016 and would like to know if I can

Customer Question

I will be 65 in March 2016 and would like to know if I can draw social security on myself and my deceased husband? Also, I was married for ten (10) years prior to remarrying and my 1st husband made considerable much more than my deceased husband.
Please advise.
Thanks,
Carolyn***@******.*** or call xxxxxxxx
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hello Carolyn,

Thank you for your post. With regard to same:

"I will be 65 in March 2016 and would like to know if I can draw social security on myself and my deceased husband? -------- No, you have a choice between one or another. Much will depend on which benefit has the potential to be your greatest income, if you play it a certain way (strategy). If you are collecting ONE of those two benefits now, that will also impact.

"Also, I was married for ten (10) years prior to remarrying and my 1st husband made considerable much more than my deceased husband. Please advise. ------- You may be eligible for a third possible choice in benefit - that of a spousal benefit if that ex is still alive, or a divorced survivor benefit, if that spouse is deceased. If the former, note that the maximum would be 50% of his primary insurance amount, because spousal benefit is always significantly less than survivor or out own, %-wise.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!