Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My grandmother who lived with me was paying rent while

Customer Question

My grandmother who lived with me was paying rent for us while living with us, she recently passed can I use her benefits to pay one last months rent, because I don't work right now I quit my job to help take care of her and make sure she could get to her Dr appointments and so on!?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

What month did she pass?

(Please note that I have NOT answeredyour questions yet. I am asking you the above to clarify so you can getan accurate answer. As such, it is not time to rate yet. Thank you.)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She passed on Sept 20th I've been looking for work since! I have a job at Chrysler in kokomo Indiana but I'm waiting on my start date?

Oh no! I am so sorry for your loss of your grandmother. The payment she received in September was for August, and she was entitled to it. If she has given it to you for rent, that is fine. However, October check if and when it arrives is not due her, because it is for Sept. and she did not 'survive' the whole month of Sept. You MUST leave it in her account and the SSA will typically have it reversed once you advise them of her death.

I hope this helps! My goal is toprovide you with excellent and accurateservice – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, Iam happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, shouldyou have legal questions. Be sure tostart future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" ifyou want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!