Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

I was married to my first husband and we divorced after 13

Customer Question

I was married to my first husband and we divorced after 13 years.
He was married to his second wife approximately 15 years when he died.
Am his first wife am I entitled to any of his SS benefits?.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** my goal here is to provide you with the most complete and accurate answer possible.

Have you remarried? If so, are you still married and how long has that marriage lasted?

According to the Social Security Administration website:

"If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if he or she has remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits and

{C}· The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work." http://goo.gl/PNX0V0

It sounds like you may qualify for Social Security benefits based upon you first husband's record unless you have remarried (and the second marriage is still lasting). The spouse's benefit is generally half the working spouse's benefit. If you have earnings on your own account, you would receive a combination of the two benefits.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions, and I would greatly appreciate positive feedback. Thanks, Jonathan