PDtax
PDtax, CPA firm owner
Experience:  35 years tax and professional advice in all matters money
64119565

I receive full disability from social security presently.I

Customer Question

I receive full disability from social security presently.I divorced a lady that I had been married to for 11 years.I called the SS benefits national help line to find out if I qualified for divorced widowers benefits.She put me on hold for a while and told me that I qualified for it but it's only good for a choice between it or my disability and I would loose money,I have friends who draw both at the same time.Is she right?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

The choice of benefits, disability based on your own work history or divorce benefits based on a percentage of your ex's work history, ages, and other factors make the best choice unique to each person.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

An example: claimant is disabled and gets $1,000 per month disability from social security. He was married, and both he and his ex are 62. Her early claim amount is $1,200. His would be $456. He shouldn't change his benefit claim.

Same example, except you are both 68, and her benefit is $2,400. Your divorce benefit would be $1200. You would get your $1000 plus $200 more.

I hope that helps. Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.