Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

To draw on ex-husband ss benefits the marriage rule of 10

Customer Question

to draw on ex-husband ss benefits the marriage rule of 10 years-does it have to be consecutive. we were married 5 years divorced and remarried for seven
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Consecutive, BUT "This requirement is met if the divorce became final on or after the 10th anniversary of the marriage. This is so even if this period was interrupted by a prior divorce, provided the remarriage took place no later than the calendar year immediately following the calendar year of the divorce. Even when this requirement was not met with respect to the claimant's last divorce, she or he may qualify based on a 10-year period of marriage immediately before a prior divorce.

You can read that from the SSA, here: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0300202005

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!