Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

Am I eligible to collect off my husband's social security

Customer Question

Am I eligible to collect off my husband's social security when I retire in Feb. 2016 even though he is still working full time and collecting social security.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

How old will you be in Feb. 2016?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
64 yrs

OK, here is how it works. You CAN file for benefits, because you are over 62.

However, there are some factors that can effect.

1) Because you'd be filing 'early' (before your full retirement age (FRA), whatever you collect will be discounted by 15% or so.

2) When you file, because you are under FRA, you will automatically be filing for and collecting the benefit that give you the highest amount, be it on your own record or your spouses. So, if your own amount is more than your spousal amount (which will be less than 50% of your spouse's primary insurance amount), you will get your own (discounted, as noted above, for early taking.... to be continued...

3) If spousal IS higher than your own, then you are required to take it - BUT, that amount is made up of payment of your OWN benefit, plus the spousal "boost". Thus, you are no longer able to allow your own benefit to grow to its full amount at your FRA (had you waited), nor can you decide to get "delayed retirement credits" (DRCs) by waiting til age 70 to collect, thereby growing your benefit an additional 32% beyond your full age benefit amount.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. It is month end -Please, if you haven't yet had the opportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional