Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 71. Applied to SS in 2008 to establish an income stream

Customer Question

I am 71. Applied to SS in 2008 to establish an income stream as required by credit union for best interest rate on mortgage. Signed up with SS giving my former husband's information in order to receive half of his benefit. I was married for 26 years. I received no information regarding options. Checks started coming. I assumed they were one half of ex's benefit.
This year I read the relevant chapters in Get What's Yours. I then went to my local SS office to check the benefit I was receiving. SS had decided to add "a couple of hundred dollars to my small benefit. And then 2 reps said that I was not eligible for the spousal benefit and refused to allow me to file a claim. Can you help me.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I can discuss with you, after getting some more information from you, whether you have any other SS options. However, I can not necessarily change the law that applies, if it is not supportive of more benefits. If you would like to continue, with that in mind and a mutual understanding of what I can and can not do, I am happy to work with you. Let me know.

Sincerely,

Stephanie O. Joy, Esq.

(Please note that I have NOT answered your questions yet. I am asking you the above to clarify so you can get an accurate answer. As such, it is not time to rate yet. Thank you.)

Hi still waiting! If you'd rather discuss via private email, I'll add that additional service you can use at your option.