LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am 72, receiving social securyity of about $190000 per

Customer Question

i am 72, receiving social securyity of about $190000 per month. My spouse is 67, and has never receive social security, preferring to let her amount grow.
Can she receive 50 % of my ss (about $900.00) per month, while letting her amount grow?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

I think you meant to write that you receive about $1,900 per month, and so I will go with that figure.

As your wife has reached full retirement age more than a year ago, she is eligible---and was at 66---to apply for a spouse benefit equal to half of the benefit you were entitled to when you turned 66. She may take this spouse benefit and still allow her own retirement to grow until she reaches 70 years old.

Additionally, she may ask for retroactive spouse benefits going back 6 month from the time she files for her spouse benefit so that will get the two of you a very nice lump sum payment as well when she applies.

In conclusion, your wife can apply for a spouse benefit now, even asking for retroactive benefits dating back 6 months, and her own retirement benefit will continue to grow at 8% per year until she reached age 70.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug