Angie
Angie, Tax Preparer
Experience:  Bookkeeping, Profit and Loss, Balance SheetsAll types of US Taxes, Tennessee taxes, Personal, business, payroll, sales tax etc.
69500136

I turned 66 in March 2015. it is now almost October of 2015.

Customer Question

I turned 66 in March 2015. it is now almost October of 2015. I did not apply for benefits in march. Is it too late now? will I receive payments retroactively from march?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I hope I can answer your question for you!

Social security administration states that if you file for your benefits late, they will pay you for the previous 6 months only. So, since you turned 66 in March and September is 6 months after March, if you file now, you will receive payments retroactively.

The information below was copied from the Social Security Administration website:

Caution: If you apply for benefits more than 6 months after the month you reach full retirement age, we can only pay benefits for the previous 6 months.

Hope this answers your question! If I can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me again.

Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

Did this resolve your question? If not feel free to ask for clarification.

If your concerns were addressed satisfactorily, positive feedback appreciated.

Hope your day is blessed. :)