lev-tax
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My SSD check is about $1400 gross and I live in expensive

Customer Question

My SSD check is about $1400 gross and I live in expensive NYC I have not yet been billed for taxes. I also wonder if I might get garnished for student loans.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

If that is social security disability income - and that is your ONLY income - none is taxable and generally - you are NOT required to file the tax return.
Yes - you may apply for the student financial aid and might qualify for government subsidized student loan.
Here is where you need to start application

https://fafsa.ed.gov/
If you have difficulties - you may communicate with the counselor in the school you are planning to attend.

Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.

In additional - if you defaulted on the student loan - your social security disability income may be levied.
However - if may inform the student loan administrator and either negotiate the payment plan OR you may apply for the student loan to be discharges.
That is possible if you are disabled.