Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I found out that my husband is using 2 different social

Customer Question

I found out that my husband is using 2 different social security numbers to purchase items and build 2 different lines of credit. Im in shock. He makes good money and there is no reason to commit fraud. We've been married almost 4years. I'm filing for divorce but how can I protect myself financially? We purchased a home and vehicle since our marriage, I honestly don't know where it was used.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You have only been married 4 years. Can I presume you are a self-sufficient woman who has not come to rely on the husband for money, etc.? Obviously, he is going to have IRS troubles and if and when his income is properly defined as that of one person, his tax obligation will likely be higher due to differing tax bracket. He may also have criminal charges brought against him. Presumably, you only signed one tax return yourself, the one with his proper SS#, and so you would want to discuss with your accountant any "innocent spouse" laws that can protect you from being implicated in his scheme.

I don't see you jointly losing your home, as you have a mortage and it was likely purchased on the up and up. Same with the car. The question there would likely be answered through your standard divorce laws - as to how those marital assets (assuming there is any equity, seeing as you only recently bought them) will be distributed and the debt on those items.

So, I see the biggest issue being to ensure that you are not implicated in any tax scheme - so talk to your accountant about how to ensure that. And talk to your divorce attorney about it as well. Given his bad behavior, this event could help a divorce judge to decide that any tax burdens associated with his actions, and possibly other debts the two of you took on, may be more heavily placed on him when they are divided up in the divorce, rather than split equally, in a decision of "equity" rather than pure math.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very timely, Excellent.

Very welcome. Have a great Sunday and rest of your week.

And please don't forget to 'rate'. Thanks!