Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am 64 tomorrow 9/20, when do I apply security without

Customer Question

I am 64 tomorrow 9/20, when do I apply for social security without receiving a. Penalty?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

When you say, "without a penalty", do you mean, without a permanent reduction due to taking retirement "early"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I mean a penalty in the form of missing the deadline to sign up and therefore get a penalty

Thank you!. OK, you must wait til you Full retirement age. It depends on your age/birth year. It is generally 66+ at this point. If you were born in 1951, it is exactly 66 for you. So in 2 more years, you can file, get your full Primary Insurance Amount, with no reduction. You can also work and earn as much as you wish after that time and not suffer a reduction on that basis either.

You can also make your benefit 32% BIGGER than your PIA by waiting longer to collect, even to age 70. If you wait til age 70 to start collecting your own benefit, it will be 32% bigger than if you collect at 66.

Note that you still should likely sign up for Medicare at age 65. Be sure to file for what you end up filing for about 3 mnth before the month you want it to start.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!