Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm a 70 yr old male with prostate cancer. I have about

Customer Question

I'm a 70 yr old male with prostate cancer. I have about 225,000. in my 401K and 50K in my roth IRA My wife is 58 yrs old in good health. When i die will she be able to get my SS. -- she still works and makes 60K a year . can my roth be added to her roth
acct and can my 401K be added to her 401K ?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

"I'm a 70 yr old male with prostate cancer. I have about 225,000. in my 401K and 50K in my roth IRA My wife is 58 yrs old in good health. When i die will she be able to get my SS. -- she still works and makes 60K a year . ------- If you are passed away, she will be eligible for a 'widow' survivor benefit once she is 60 (reduced amount for taking early). However, there is an 'earnings' limit on any such retirement benefits if we collect retirement before we are of full retirement age. Right now that earnings limit (which ensures early retirement benefits through your work record are only for those who are 'dependents' and not self sufficient), is $15720 this year. So for ever $2 she makes over that amount, she will own $1 back. For a normal wage earner, this typically means she will not be able to net anything in survivor benefit "early". However, once she is of her full retirement age, she can collect a survivor benefit at 100% of your rate, with NO earnings limit. A popular strategy if to collect the survivor benefit at FRA, letting her OWN benefit grow to age 70, then switch to her own IF her own is greater than the survivor benefit she is getting.

"can my roth be added to her roth acct and can my 401K be added to her 401K ? ------ Because this is unrelated to my expertise in SS, I can not speculate on this. However, your CPA would typically be able to tell you the current rules on how Roth's are treated upon death, as well as your 401k.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!