retirementlawyer
retirementlawyer, Tax Attorney
Experience:  13 years experience in social security
16356563

Can I still apply benefits after having been receiving s/s

Customer Question

Can I still apply for spousal benefits after having been receiving s/s for a few years?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  retirementlawyer replied 1 year ago.

Under social security rules, you can apply for spousal benefits if they would be higher than your own benefits,

also if you started your own benefits early, if you switch to spousal benefits, the early penalty would apply as well, and spousal benefits are only 50% of the primary spouses benefits.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
DO I GO THRU APPLYING AT THE SOCIAL SECUITY WEB SITE? WHAT WOULD BE CONSIDERED AN EARLY PENALTY?

yes, you can apply through the social security website, however it is best to go to the local social security office, to apply, as you do not want to switch to a lower amount

if you took benefits before age 66, you face an early penalty, if you started at age 62, your penalty would be 28-30%

if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
28-30% of the benefit I would receive from spouse or what I am presently receiving?

no that would be the penalty for you to start taking benefits at age 62,

spousal benefits is 50% of what your spouse gets

minus any penalty for taking early,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This applies now at age 68 and s/s was starting at 64? Really best bet is to go to the office and talk with them as to how to proceed, right?

if you are 68, a switch to spousal benefits may not be your best option, but yes, go directly to the office, and calculate the numbers, you will only be given the higher amount, you do not get both,.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that and ,yes I realized I wouldn't get them both. Thank you this has helped clarify some of my issues. Just so I know my charge will be the 5$ and not the 32$, correct?

customer service will have to answer that, I am not sure what you signed up for. If you have any further legal questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you

Good luck, and if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you