LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

After 20 years of marriage, my husband decided to separate

Customer Question

After 20 years of marriage, my husband decided to separate and moved out 3 years ago. There are no indications he wishes to work things out and I am no longer hopeful. He has not filed for divorce nor have I. I will turn 59 in December. My question is, If I were to file for dissolution of marriage, will this affect my retirement benefits once I am eligible?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. What retirement benefits are you referring to? A social security retirement benefit based on your employment history or a spouse benefit?

Doug

Doug