LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am currently 64 and receiving my social security benefit.

Customer Question

I am currently 64 and receiving my social security benefit. Am I entitled to any of my spouse's benefit in addition to mine, or just INSTEAD of mine? He is 67 and receiving his benefit.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

At age 66 you will be able to apply for a spouse benefit and your benefit may then increase. Let me explain.

Let’s say your Primary Insurance Amount (PIA) is $1,000. You filed for your own benefit at 62 and received a reduced retirement benefit of $750.

Your husband has a PIA of $2500. At 66 you are eligible to receive one-half of his PIA. $2500 (his PIA); divided by two, that equals$1,250 (This is your full spouse’s rate). Social Security will subtract from the $1250 (the full spouse’s rate) – $1000 (your PIA)= $250.

Social Security will add that $250 to your reduced retirement benefit amount of $750 and your new benefit amount at full retirement age will be $1,000, which is a bit less than the full spouse’s rate, but hundreds more than you are presently receiving.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug