LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

How can I find out about my work story as far as the jobs

Customer Question

how can I find out about my work history as far as the jobs I've held over the years, I have worked one job for 18 years and been retired for 8 years. some of the jobs I've held no longer exist.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Are you asking about the income that you have earned in any given year or are you asking about the name of your employer at any given time?

Doug

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need the name and addresses of all my past employers and the amount I paid in social security from each one.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, that information is not possible to resurrect from any present government database that is available to you or I.

And while I can't imagine what use you might have for knowing the taxes that you paid into social security all these years---as they certainly don't directly relate to your benefit amount, I can tell you that while social security maintains a database of all income you earned during your lifetime, they do not have a database for employer records that would identify your employers throughout your lifetime. Neither does the IRS maintain that many records. You are limited to about 10 years of back tax returns.

All I can do is provide you with the tools to find out what your income was reported to be for your lifetime. That information is located on your social security statement. You can open your own social security online account and see your earnings statement, estimated retirement benefit and much more, in about 15 minutes through this site: http://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug