LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

My understanding is that when I turn 66 next I can elect to

Customer Question

my understanding is that when I turn 66 next I can elect to collect spousal benefits. is this correct?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Actually, you could have collected spousal benefits as early as age 62 so long as your spouse was already receiving a benefit from social security. However, at age 66 you may collect a spouse benefit and allow your own benefit to continue to grow at 8% per year until you reach age 70.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug