LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I took Social security at age 62. I will reach FRA on oct

Customer Question

I took Social security at age 62. I will reach FRA on oct 30th 2015. Can I suspend my benefits after I reach FRA to earn delayed retirement credits,until I reach age 70?
Can I call social security in advance of FRA with instructions to suspend at FRA?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, you may suspend your social security retirement benefit at full retirement age if you wish. Here is a link to a social security site which sets this process out for you: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/planners/retire/suspend.html

Because your benefits are paid in arrears, if you want to suspend when you reach full retirement age, you will need to notify social security about 1 month in advance of your turning FRA. That is because if you reach FRA in Nov. and you notify social security in October, you will get your October payment in Nov. You cannot give advanced notice of more than one month though. As soon as you ask to suspend, they will immediately process the request.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug