LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I am remarried been married to new husband years he was

Customer Question

i am remarried been married to new husband for 15 years he was married before also will i get his ss when he passes away
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

So long as you have been married to your present husband at least 10 years (even if you divorce) or if you are married to him at the time of his death and have been married at least 9 months (which you have been) you will automatically be eligible for a survivor benefit based on your husband's lifetime earnings.

A survivor benefit is 100% of the amount of social security benefit that your husband was receiving, or was entitle to receive, at the time of his death if you are at least full retirement age when you apply for the benefit. If you are less than full retirement age (66 years old this year) then you would receive somewhere between 71.5% and 100% of his benefit amount.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug