SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

Spouse died after 30 years of marriage, husband remarried at

Customer Question

Spouse died after 30 years of marriage, husband remarried at 59 years of age unknowing of the survivor rule of benefits paid if married after 60 years. Can it be appealed?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  SSA.Help4u.168 replied 1 year ago.

Though this is not written anywhere, at least not anywhere that I could find it, if the husband was closer to the age of 60, than 59 when he remarried, social security might take this into consideration. The social security guidelines are pretty strict when it comes to age requirements. Based on the following information, a person needs to be age 60 or if disabled (age 50) before they can remarry and still receive survivor benefits. He can try filing an appeal and see how it goes. For more information about the appeals process, you can refer to the following link;

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10041.pdf

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.