LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I'm, my son is going to be sixteen, i know SS will pay

Customer Question

i'm 69, my son is going to be sixteen, i know SS will pay benefits until he graduates from high school, would it continue when he goes to college?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Child social security benefits payable because one or more parents are receiving social security benefits, or because on or both parents have died, is payable only until age 18, or if the child is still in high school, until they reach 19 years and 2 months old, or they graduate from high school.

Once the child has reached 18 and graduated from high school, the child social security benefit ends. The only way a child can attend college and still receive a child social security benefit is if the child is still under 18 when they are attending college.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

Please remember to rate my service to you so that I can be compensated for helping you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2015,

Doug