Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I started drawing social security in April 2015 and had it

Customer Question

I started drawing social security in April 2015 and had it stopped in August . I obtained a job at the prison in Bonham tx in June. After I decided I would keep the job I asked to have my social security stopped or put on hold till I was 66 years old. I spoke with 2 ladies at the Greenville Tx office about doing this. They both told me that I could do this. I then asked them if I would have to pay the money I received back. I had been drawing unemployment from January 2015 to June. I did receive income in June and July from the prison as well as my social security check. This amount was not the 15,000 dollars that you can make at age 64. Both ladies assured me I would not have to pay the money I received from social security back. They said I would make more than the amount of income required for social security and that my account would continue to grow and when I have it started again at 66 I would receive a larger amount than I had received. The following week after I stopped my social security I recieved a letter stating I had to pay the money back that I had received. I am confused. When I asked them at greenville why she said oh we had to recalculate what you would make for the rest of the year. I don't understand why it had to be recalculated. I only actually collected 2 months benefits while I was working, that amount was not over 15,000 dollars you were able to make. Could you explain this to me. Thank you.
Sherry Swindell
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sherry, how old are you?

(If you are not online at the moment, that fine. Please note that I am running to a meeting shortly but I will be back to check in on your to see if you had chance to respond. Please do not rate yet, as I have not yet provided any answer.)