Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I was told and also read it somewhere that military personal

Customer Question

I was told and also read it somewhere that military personal were entitled up to an additional $1200 a year if they served between 1957 and 2001, but they had to ask for it because the SSD does not volinteer this infirmation. You have to show your discharge papers, form DD214.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Well, it is not exactly that, unfortunately. What they are actually entitled to is an addition of $300 to their reported income per quarter (yes, $1200 per year). When our reported SS taxed income increases, so does our later benefit rate (i.e. your primary insurance amount). When we get our estimated future benefit statement, over the years, it does not include this $300 per quarter extra income earned amount, because the SSA is not privvy to your military records as a matter of course. However, when we FILE for our benefits and our application is approved, and the primary insurance amount is determined (not estimated based on inaccurate numbers), that higher income base, upon which our benefit calculations are applied to get our benefit amount, is not included. So, once you apply, prove your service, that income will be added and your PIA determined. But, yes, it IS asked for in SS applications - I do them every week, and the military questions ARE asked. It is not a secret and it is asked on the application.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Hello again. Please, if you haven't yet had theopportunity to do either of the items below, I ask that you do so now, because itis the only way I can receive credit for time spent with you. Please:

1) Follow up if clarification is needed on our above interaction/Q&A, OR

2) Rate me highly if we are finished for the time being.

If there's more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I canbe of further assistance. It's my goal to provide you with excellent service- to make sure I answered the question you asked about. Please rate mehighly and provide me with feedback. And thanks for understanding how we receivecredit from the Site for contributing our time here!

Sincerely,

StephanieO. Joy, Esq. – Your Online Legal Professional