LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I receive pension benefits based on my retirement from my

Customer Question

I receive pension benefits based on my retirement from my position with the State of NJ. Subsequently, I became disabled with Parkinsonism which seriously affected both my mental physical capabilities. I can no longer supplement my income with additional work. If I meet the applicable standards' am I eligible to receive disability benefits through Social Security. I am now 81 years old and contracted Parkisonism about 10 years and it has gotten progressively worse to the point where I am now almost bedridden.
Thanks for your help. RDL
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good evening,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unfortunately, under social security regulations, no one over the age of 66 is able to qualify for social security disability. This is because social security automatically converts all disability benefits to retirement benefits once a person reaches full retirement age.

If you do not qualify for social security retirement benefits, then there is no social security benefit available to you at all. Most state employees do not pay into the social security system and therefore are not eligible for either disability benefits or retirement benefits. Only if you worked at a job where you and your employer paid into so the social security system would you earn the quarter credits necessary to qualifying for social security benefits. I am sorry.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug