SSA.Help4u.168
SSA.Help4u.168, Accountant
Experience:  Tax Accountant
58285678

Japan and USA have a totalitarian agreement. I am 50 yrs old

Customer Question

Japan and USA have a totalitarian agreement. I am 50 yrs old so I will need to retire under USA system. I have a new job in Japan and the rest of my working life will be in Japan. Can my payment into Japan's system be applied to USa sytem so I can fully retire under USA system,?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  SSA.Help4u.168 replied 1 year ago.

Q: Can my payment into Japan's system be applied to USa sytem so I can fully retire under USA system,?

A: Is the job in Japan, a U.S. Company? If not, then you will not be able to receive retirement payments under the U.S. social security system. You can reference the table here:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/japan.html#wep

As the table indicates, a U.S. worker employed in Japan can be covered by U.S. Social Security only if he or she works for a U.S. employer. A U.S. employer includes a corporation organized under the laws of the United States or any state, a partnership if at least two-thirds of the partners are U.S. residents, an individual who is a resident of the U.S. or a trust if all the trustees are U.S. residents. The term also includes a foreign affiliate of a U.S. employer if the U.S. employer has entered into an agreement with the Internal Revenue Service under section 3121(l) of the Internal Revenue Code to pay Social Security taxes for U.S. citizens and residents employed by the affiliate.