Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I will be 70 years old one year from now. I will receive

Customer Question

I will be 70 years old one year from now. I will receive $13,586 a year from my Army retirement, $42,000 per year from social security and a mandatory $40,000 per year from my 401(k). Will any of these amounts be reduced because of the other amounts? ***@******.***,(###) ###-####
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

This is the social security area. If you PAID SS taxes on your other pension earnings (not including your 401k if from a private company), then your SS retirement should not be reduced based on the other two. And, while I can't confirm what is in your 401k policy, obviously, I have never seen it be effected also, if not based on government employment. I have also not seen Army retirement reduced, although I am NOT a military expert, so if you have concerns on that other field of law, I'd suggest you pose that specific question there, in our Military section. It is also often helpful to inquire of your respective HR departments for the non-SS related incomes, to see if there were any terms in your contract that would allow for any reduction for any reason. But as a general rule, I see no reductions anywhere.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!