Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

What is this on the internet about if you served active duty

Customer Question

What is this on the internet about if you served active duty from 1957 to 2001 you are entitled to a bigger social security check?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

This is a special benefit, where by your recorded SS earnings are increased slightly for those years in eligible service at the relevant time. Because our SS benefit is calculated based off of our recorded SS earnings, this increase recorded income thereby increases your monthly SS benefit incrementally. The increase is reflected after one applies for Social Security, because prior that the SSA doesn't know of a person's eligible military time. Thus, one's 'estimated' SS benefits may be off a bit, based on this difference. (There are other reasons it may be off as well, that are not pertinent here.) Once one applies for Social Security, and answers the military questions, the proper amount is added in and the benefit calculation performed accordingly.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To Stephanie O Joy Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!